Friday, June 12, 2009

Product focus - mascara.

Mascara is a staple item in every girl's makeup kit. I use it every time I wear makeup to emphasize my modest lashes. The waterproof formulation is always chosen for the much feared smudged look. I have tried quite a few of them. None of them were high-end ones because I don't want to shell out over 25 bucks for something that only lasts 2-3 months. Here are a few that I've used for extended period of time and my personal experience with them.


1) L'Oreal - Voluminous.
First off - the famous L'Oreal Voluminous. This was the only mascara I used to use in junior high and high school. It gave me great length and, true to its name, even more impressive volume! I always got it in waterproof and it never smudged or smeared on me. Every time I ventured onto other mascaras I regretted it... till around 2 years ago. Suddenly, I noticed that the formula started smuding and flaking off on me. A few hours after application, I'd have tiny little black flakes of mascara on my face, and where I touched my skin, tiny little black lines. ICK! Thinking that it was the particular tube, I tossed it out and got a new one. The same thing happened. I must've gone through at least 5 tubes of this, from different stores/locations, hoping to find one that was not "defective". It wasn't until told by a cosmetician that L'Oreal had changed the formula of this product, and that many other customers shared my complaints, that I started experimenting with mascaras...


2) Cover Girl - Lash Blast.
Up next is one that I've heard oodles of raves about - Cover Girl's Lash Blast. Try as I may I don't really understand the raves. It's decent - holds a curl, good pigmentation, noticeable lengthening and volumizing. BUT the chubby wand is very difficult to work with, especially around the corner lashes and my lower lashes. Again, like the Voluminous, this started flaking and smudging after 3 weeks of use.


3)Max Factor - 2000 Calorie.
Living in Canada, I don't have regular access to MaxFactor products. I randomly picked up the 2000 Calorie on a trip to the states last year. I am beyond happy to have stumbled upon this product. It adds volume and length, holds a curl, and most importantly, it never smudges!!! Part of it being a really "waterproof" and staying product is that it is a bit difficult to remove. But not noticeably so over other waterproof mascaras, and olive oil or a cleanse-off oil always gets it off. I will be dabbling in other mascaras for experimentation, but this will be a staple in my makeup routine until I find one that is better.

I've tried other mascaras, but they were usually so disappointing that I only bought one tube and only have a faint memory of them. Recently there's been a resurgence of new interesting drug store finds. I'm looking forward to trying them, in particular, the Maybelline Lash stiletto, the Rimmel Sexy Curves mascara, and the L'Oreal HIP mascara. Should anything overtake my beloved Max Factor, I will update promptly.

What are some of your favourite mascaras?

2 comments:

  1. i just tried voluminous as well and im disappointed. the formulation was no where near all the raves i had received. im happy you like the max factor one, i might try that one. Have you tried mac plushlash? its my fave thus far :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used Loreal Voluminous, Loreal Telescopic, YSL Faux Cils and Rimmel Sexy Curves and I would say that Maxfactor 2000 Calorie is definitely head and shoulders above them because it never dries out and flakes on your face and it generally lasts longer than the other brands (doesn't dry out as quickly). Hope this helps!Love your blog, come by and check out mine sometime x

    ReplyDelete